Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Loathing of a car seat and milestones

Time is flying by. I've already been back to work for 3 weeks. This week will be 4 weeks. I don't know where the time is going. I was just in the hospital like YESTERDAY giving birth wasn't I? I keep saying the baby is so big too fast. I blame my milk. What else is there to blame?
 
We've had a challenging time with him wanting to be in seats. His car seat? You would think there are pins in his seat and every time he sits in his car seat those pins are on fire, because he LOATHES his seat. He can be ok if he's sleeping in it, but to get to the point takes a ridiculous amount of screaming and crying and carrying on.
 
I wondered if it was only car seats or all seats? Is it the motion of the car seat? Is it seeing what's coming ahead of us in his mirror that he hates? Does he get dizzy watching his mirror? If he'll take the binky, he's ok, but it falls out and it's game over and I surely can't hold it in. Does he hate the pinned down-ness of being locked into place by the straps of his car seat? Does he hate the feeling of being alone? He can't really see his big sister across the car in her seat.
 
I decided I'd try him in the high chair to see if any of the above yielded the same result. Last night we sat down to dinner at the table and I put his chair together and he sat in it, quietly. We ate. He played with his jingly ball toy. He was content. He smiled. He cooed. He was fine. Strapped in, and even reclined as if it were a car seat too. Totally happy. Oh believe me, he had enough, just like any baby would for being in one setting with one view for too long, but it took a while. I'm not sure what this proves. Maybe that it's the backward motion in the car that freaks him out? Or the feeling of being alone? I don't know...there's something to be analyzed there to draw some conclusions, I'll have to think on that.
 
I took him out when I was done with my dinner and the table had been cleared. I decided to give him a little tummy time, and put him right in front of me on the dining room table, tummy down. He had his arms under him, his legs splayed out and he was scootching his bum up and out repetivitely. It didn't take very long, but he managed to gethis right leg underneath him, let his head weigh him to his left side and roll his shoulder underneath his body. Gravity worked and he rolled from his tummy to his back. His eyes got wide and he rotated his head back a little bit to focus on me. I gave him a look of "Don't you EVER do that again, do you hear me?" I shrieked and actually said something like "OMG" out loud and my husband came in to check what was wrong. I said it was probably just a fluke, he wouldn't do it again, but he just rolled over.
 
I flipped him back on his tummy to make sure I wasn't seeing things. It took a minute or so longer, but sure enough he rolled over again. And of course my husband got bored of watching a scootching baby on the table laying there like a Thanksgiving turkey and went back to doing the dishes (that's right ladies, be jealous...he cooked dinner then he did the dishes too) and missed the replay. I'm still denying it was real. The table must be slanted or something. There's no way at just over 3 months this kid is rolling over, right? How is this possible. His older sister didn't roll over until 4 months. There's gotta be a a loop hole here somewhere. He's getting so big, too fast. I can't believe my eyes when he does things like this. I'm going to hibernate so I don't have to admit my little guy is growing up and doing big boy things.
 
By the way? Have I mentioned how absolutely in love with having a little baby boy I am? God, he's the best boy ever. He's so snuggly, I just love him to pieces...but please STOP GROWING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment