Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Strategic Logistics Manager

This is going to be a new job title I'm going to create in Fire Departments. I am going to become one of these people. (Thanks to my dad.)

After Hurricane Irene blew through and wreaked havoc in the surrounding areas including my crawl space under our house, firstly I'm thankful that's all the damage we had. A quick call to the insurance company and our oil company and we have a new motor in our only 4 year old oil burner and we're good.

My commute to work has been interesting. One particular area in Bedford, you know that town that all the famous people live? It's been a disaster area. The main road into/out of town has had one lane blocked by a downed tree and wires yesterday morning, last night and this morning. Yesterday morning I felt good about stopping to let the people coming the opposite direction who couldn't drive on their side of the road. I felt like it was my little kind gesture, though I think I pissed off the guy eager to get to work who was behind me.

As of tonight I turned onto this road knowing that debris was only a half mile down and traffic was stopped. I knew instantly they were working on clearing it away. There was a Bedford Volunteer Fire Department fire truck blocking the road and diverting traffic down the perpendicular road. This road they diverted traffic down? It was long. And basically? It leads to nowhere. There are just a whole bunch of dead ends and no outlets along it. Here's the thing though, why couldn't the fire truck be further down the road at the road I turned from? There were no other roads between that road and the debris, it was pointless for all these cars to drive all the way to the debris in the first place. Had I known the work was going on I would've made a right and found my way home that way instead.

I propose that these volunteer fire departments find someone in their town, who is not a teen age boy wanting to give his red pickup truck a car wash every day. Someone who knows the town. Someone who realizes that closing down a road in one spot is more effective than closing it down in say the middle of nowhere where a person would have to back track MILES to get back to going where they need to go. It took me an extra 45 minutes to get home tonight because they didn't have enough foresight to close off the road at a main intersection.

I know, I'm totally complaining while people have real problems but when there's a baby home who wants to eat (because have you seen how skinny he is these days?) and you just, for the love of God had the worst day and you really just need to spend time with people that love you, I deserve to be upset when people block the road somewhere they shouldn't. Though I have to say, driving roads I don't normally drive made me see damage I wouldn't have seen otherwise. It's crazy.

Anyway, I'm applying for the job of Strategic Logistics Manager of any fire department who would like happy citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment