Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Freaking out

My husband has it easy. He gets up, gets dressed, "drops the "kids" off at the pool" before leaving the house and is ready to go by 3:30 in the morning.

I? Have a bigger task. Get me and 2 kids out of the house, walk the dog, feed the fish, and then get out.

This morning I let the dog out back on his lead. 20 minutes later I was doing something so I asked my 4YO to let him back in. She has done it before and likes helping. I know she let him in because 1. I heard his monster claws traipse thru the house. and 2. He stared at me as I turned and looked back at him before shutting the door behind me.

What I don't know is if she shut the sliding glass door behind her when she and the dog came back in the house. I'm 99% sure I didn't go back and shut and lock it. I know she doesn't know how to lock it.

My worry isn't that the door is unlocked, it's that it's open and the cat or the dog could get out and get lost. The cat is the first to get out that door when opportunity arises. She is strictly indoor and is always curious about what's beyond the boundaries of her confines. (And also that the A/C is on today for the animals since it's a gajillion degrees out today and that's just a waste if energy if the door is open.)

So my husband called a neighbor, it went straight to voicemail. I called another neighbor and she just checked for me. That was the longest 5 minutes of my life. The door was closed (mostly...the recycle bag hanging ear the door was in between the door and the door jam so it was open a sliver, but not enough for fat cat to get thru) when she went to check, and as I suspected, not locked, but now it is.

Phew! Talk about a freaking panic attack! I think I might still be a little on edge the rest of the day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment